Sunday, July 12, 2015

Tappet Covers

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Still pressing on with trying to seal the engine ready for oil, the last step is to get the tappet covers in place.



Back in this post, I spent quite a long time stripping back the tappet covers and repainting them ready for this moment, hence the nice shiny coat of black gloss. Also when I was last in Mini Spares, I picked up a new set of rubber seals, so I thought I was good to go.

However, even though I'd dutifully stored the old bolts that the covers in place, I didn't realise until I examined them more closely that they have a rubber washer that is needed to seal the hole up and unfortunately the ones I,d kept were looking a bit worse for wear.



I tried them in for size and it was obvious even to this fool that they were beyond using and needed to be chucked and replaced. Only snag is, I'm quite keen to crack on and don't really want to go to Mini Spares just for two of these. Nor did I want to order them as the delivery would make them expensive and delayed everything.

However, all was not lost as I had an excellent hooliganised brainwave... I had some left over fuel hose from ages ago and if I chopped off small sections they made perfect rubber washers! Bingo.






Two new rubber washers later the covers were on and looking excellent. The washers compressed perfectly and seemed to be doing their job as good as any that could have been bought. I'm chalking this one up as a win!!!



Next time the oil finally goes in...




For updates, stick a 'Like' on Wayne's Mini Progress facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment