Sunday, July 5, 2015

Head Check!

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
When I first bought the engine, in what seems like a lifetime ago now, it came with a fairly decent head that looked like it had been recently re-machined. Before I committed to using though, I wanted to make sure that everything was as it should be, so I decided to take the valves out and check it over before I painted it.




Although the base looked like it has been resurfaced, I still wanted to check it for flatness anyway. I use a very low tech metal ruler from B&Q for this. Placing the ruler on the surface, I checked that there were no peeks or troughs by looking for daylight under the ruler where it was supposed to be in contact with the surface. If you can see daylight under the ruler, it's not flat. Thankfully that was not the case here as all was well.



Next, using my trusty valve compression tool I made out of an old G-clamp back in this post (Oh yes, it still works a treat). I removed all the valves and lined them up along with the head and took this photo to remember which valve went in which port.



With the valves out, I could see that the seats had been replaced with hardned rings and been re-cut. Top result!! This would have cost me a fortune to do.




Lastly I removed the temperature sender and scrubbed the whole thing with hot soapy water. When it was fully dry, I degreased the surface and applied the first coat of paint. I use a thinned down solution of Hammerite smooth for the first coat as it helps it to stick. The photo makes it look a lot better that it really is as the first coat looks terrible.


Once that was dry, a further 2 coats of normal thickness Hammerite Smooth were applied with a brush and left to dry. This is a painstakingly slow job as the shape of the head is very intricate, but to get the best finish, it can't be rushed. Many hours of work are shown below!!



A few days later after the paint had hardened properly and I put the valves back in. I also noted that the valve guides had been replaced also.  I really did land on my feet when I bought this!!



Once it was all reassembled, it looked rather fetching in its new coat of red and well worth the time and effort it took. Well I thought so anyway.



Now it's ready for the rockers to be added. Only snag is though, they need a ton of work doing to them also. So I'll love you and leave you dear reader as I've got more work to be getting on with. Before I go though, why not have a look at the full engine build page that documents all the many months of work it's taken to get us this far. Let me know what you think either in the comments here or on the facebook page.




For updates, stick a 'Like' on Wayne's Mini Progress facebook page

No comments:

Post a Comment