Monday, June 29, 2015

Wok's Going On!

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Well I know it's the clutch housing, but it really does look like a wok! Granted it's got a big hole in the middle and a wok hasn't, and it has no handles where a wok would and I wouldn't want to cook with it, but still it kinda vaguely resembles... a... wok... Okay, it's nothing like a wok, but it made a really catchy title so I went with it!! Anyway, it's time to put it on.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Oil Pressure Relief Valve

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
In the interests of being thorough with the engine build, I thought it best to make sure the oil pressure relief valve was checked over to make sure it was okay. Plus I haven't a clue what lives behind that large nut, so this is an ideal opportunity to find out!

Friday, June 26, 2015

Camshaft Endfloat and Timing Cover

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
You would have thought that setting the camshaft endfloat would be a fairly straight forward affair. All other parts of the engine I have encountered so far where endfloat is critical, could simply be shimmed up to eliminate the slack and get things into tolerance. For some reason though when it comes to the camshaft endfloat, I couldn't find any shims at all to help me out. So how exactly do you make sure the endfloat is correct??

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Electrical Gremlins and Melty Cables

Driving home from work recently, I got that sinking feeling that accompanies a lack of power as I was tootling along. Initially, I thought that I may have just stalled the engine, but as the car ground to a halt and stubbornly refused to go any further, I realised I was going to have to get my hands dirty!

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Battery Bother

Over the last week or so, I've had a few issues with a dead battery first thing in the morning, generally as I have been running late for work. Annoying as this is, it wasn't too much of a pain as I simply hooked up my 'Jump Starter' and the car would start and I could be on my way.

Driving the 10 miles to work, I assumed that the battery would be charging up, however the same dead battery gremlins would plague the car again for the journey home. As useful as the Jump Starter pack is, it's only good for a few starts before it needs recharging so I was running the risk of getting stranded if I didn't get the battery sorted out soon.

Monday, June 22, 2015

Bedroom's No Place For An Engine!

<This post is part of the 'New Engine Rebuild' project>
Way, way back in the dim and distant past when I first started this engine build project, it was the dead of winter and absolutely freezing in my shed. As a result, my enthusiasm to go out and do a bit of tinkering was tempered by the thought of frozen fingers and general shivering.

So in my infinite wisdom a plan was hatched to overcome this problem, a plan that would afford me warmth, comfort and a nice sit down while I build the engine. An excellent plan with only one small problem, it was the spare bedroom!!!

Spare bedrooms are great!!

Thursday, June 11, 2015


I'm guessing that if you follow this blog, you're probably more of a fan of the Classic Mini than the avarage Joe, I would also guess that at some point. you've picked up and read MiniWorld. This is a magazine that I have read and subscribed to since I was 'into' Mini's, so when the chance to actually appear in came up, I was all over it.

Sunday, June 7, 2015

New Wheels

I, like many others that read this blog I'm sure, spend a lot of my spare time keeping my eye on ebay and various 'selling groups' for parts that I think will be useful at some point. Generally, if you are lucky and quick enough, a good bargain can be found without travelling to the other end of the UK to pick it up.

One such piece of good luck happened to me recently when I saw a set of wheels, identical to the ones I currently own, going for a good price and not too far away. They were in very good condition and had decent tyres. Well I couldn't resist and jumped on the chance.

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Rusty, Crusty Parts - Purged, Painted and Polished

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>
This post is really just a set of before and after shots to document the painstakingly slow transformation of each of the peripheral items that were chosen to go back on the engine. Each item was stripped back to bare metal with a selection of different wire bushes and a drill, then cleaned with meths and a cloth ready for paint. The first coat was a light mist of acid etch followed by several coats of undercoat and finished off with 3-4 coats of gloss black.

Decisions, decisions!

Friday, June 5, 2015

Setting The Valve Timing

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>
I must admit that I was a little worried about this part of the project as valve timing always seemed to be a bit complicated, but like any other subject after a bit (actually a lot) of research and learning, it's nowhere near as tricky as I first thought. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying, it's a bit of a doddle when you know how.