Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Putting The Gearbox On

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>

Finally after weeks and weeks of work, it's time to bring the newly refurbished gearbox and the engine block together. For some reason this fairly straight forward 'bolt together' job seems very significant, almost as if some kind of milestone has been reached. As ever with these kind of 'simple' jobs though, the devil is in the detail.

I had a little confusion when it came to the half moon seal as it seemed far too big to fit when I tested it in the gearbox side. I wondered if it needed trimming or if it was for a different engine, but no, it was correct and no trimming was necessary as there is a knack to getting them into place.

The Knack
For this job, I was advised by more than a few people to turn the block upside down and lift the gearbox to the block. This seemed like very sensible advice as the gearbox is much lighter and easier to lift and manoeuvre than the engine block, it also ensures the half moon seal is squashed into place properly.

With such good advice, I'd be a fool not to listen, the first job though is to get the surfaces grease free and super clean so the RTV will stick properly. When it comes to gasketing, I prefer to use an old credit card to apply a light even(ish) smear of RTV to the gasket surface like so...

Then it gets stuck down to the engine block, I also made sure that there was some RTV around where the half moon seal is going to sit.

This is where I started to panic a bit as the RTV is curing fast and I can't find my thread lock, or the correct socket, or the front plate bolts!! Some preparation really wouldn't have gone amiss here, but you live and learn! After locating the front plate and its associated bolts, it was loosely and temporarily bolted on and the half moon seal dropped into place. After another layer of RTV on top of the seal, it was ready to receive the gearbox.

and a close up, just prior to gasketing...

The last thing which I very nearly forgot, was to make sure the small oil seal ring was in place. I used a little RTV to stop it falling out when the gearbox was turned upside down. It's not in the picture, but I did put it in, honest I did.

Oil seal sits in here.
Now, with a good thick pair of rigger gloves, I picked the gearbox up and found where the best gripping points were to balance and manoeuvre it. Then standing over the engine block, I located the studs on the back of the engine first, then very carefully lowered it into place.

Being conscious that time was an issue as the RTV was curing fast, I carefully put all the bolts in one by one with some threadlock and torqued the whole thing down.

It's funny, but as I write this, I can remember the overwhelming smell of vinegar as the RTV was curing. Weird the things you recall! What I knew I wouldn't recall was which bolt went where, so I made a note of it...

Threadlock was used with all the bolts and when they were torqued down, I removed the front plate to make sure the half moon seal was sat correctly. Thankfully, it didn't bulge out and looked fine, just to be on the safe side though, I put the front plate back on for now.

All that remained now was to turn the whole thing over, stand back and admire the work.

Another job ticked off the list, but there is no resting though as the transfer housing is now screaming at me!!!

<Home> - 'Wayne's Mini Progress'

For updates, stick a 'Like' on Wayne's Mini Progress facebook page.

1 comment:

  1. your post was so helpful, even in manual doesn´t show how half moon seal is mounted, thanks you!!!