Thursday, January 29, 2015

Clutch Kit Rebuild

<This post is part of the 'Winter Project 2014/15 - New Engine Rebuild' project>

After the recent shopping spree, I have all the parts I need to build the verto clutch up to the point where it can be mounted on the crankshaft when the new engine is ready. The clutch kit itself came from Mini Sport, the centre boss came from Mini Spares and the flywheel came with the last engine I bought. I checked the flywheel surface and although not perfect, it can be brought up to scratch with a little work. The first job though is to bolt the centre boss to the pressure plate.

Centre boss and pressure plate
The Centre Boss
This seemed a simple enough job, especially as the clutch kit came with a set of instructions, a rare treat these days when buying parts! Not only that, they were actually very useful, giving advice on how to fit and even specifying torque settings



The only thing I did notice was the centre boss was manufactured with a small 'cut out' on one side. When I checked it against my old centre bosses, it seemed to be normal. I really wasn't sure if it was anything significant.



On the other two clutches I have, the boss was situated on the pressure plate with the 'cut out' opposite the two locating holes that line up with the studs on the flywheel. As the two old clutches were in agreement with each other, I thought it best to do it the same way with this one.



The clutch kit came with a new set of bolts that were pre-loaded with some threadlock. Following the instruction sheet, I torqued up the bolts to 60Nm.




The Flywheel
I decided to use flywheel that came with the new engine, it's a 129 tooth flywheel designed to be used with a pre-engaged starter motor. Problem is though the friction surface was a bit tired looking. As new flywheels are pretty expensive, I thought it was worth tidying this one up, rather than splashing out on a new one.




After an hour or so with some 400 grit 'wet and dry' I was able to flatten back the slight ridges and make it look far more like a flywheel should.




Final Assembly
With all the parts laid out, final assembly could begin.



I started by centering the friction plate on the flywheel. As everything was laid flat on the floor, it was possible to get it centered without a clutch centering tool.



Next was the delicate job of lowering the pressure plate into place and aligning the studs to the holes without disturbing the friction plate.



Using some threadlock, the six final bolts were dropped in the holes and done up to 'finger tight'. Then the task of going round and round the six bolts, giving each a quarter turn until the pressure plate is clamped tight to the flywheel. I wasn't counting, but I guess I must have gone around about 15 times.



With all the six bolts tightened down, they could be torqued up the specified 25Nm given in the Haynes manual.



And that's it. Another part than can be stored away until the day the new engine is ready.



But until that day, there's a ton of stuff to be getting on with!






For updates, stick a 'Like' on Wayne's Mini Progress facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment