Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Spare Engine - Timing Gear Removed

Having spent quite a lot of time recently working towards restoring the head, I now need something decent to sit it on. This is the part I have been looking forward to, the engine!!! This will be a mountain of work and will take me ages to complete.

My first obstacle is that I am not too familiar with the A-Series engine. To be honest, I'm not actually familiar with any engine at all. This problem is not insurmountable though as I have acquired a knackered engine for £10 and plan to use this as my learning engine. Although the block is cracked, it is complete and perfect for taking to bits.

So the next set of blogs will be my experiences of slowly taking the engine to bits and learning what goes where and generally familiarising myself with everything. One thing that will be vital is documenting and labeling everything as it comes off so that I know what goes where when it goes back together again. It is so easy to forget what bolt goes where. This is one reason I keep this blog as a means of remembering the order and detail of what I did.


Today I decided to see what was behind the timing cover, which is this thing....



Before anything can happen the pulley needs to be removed and for that I need the BIG socket. The BIG socket seems to fit a few things around the car and this is one of them. The BIG socket of course is the same 1 inch and 5/16'' socket that I used for the front subframe mounts some time ago when I rebuilt the front suspension.





After knocking back the locking tab, I jammed a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth to stop it rotating. The nut was super tight, but I found that a 2 foot breaker bar and a hammer was enough to do the job.



Jam the flywheel

Maximum leverage needed

Once the pulley was off, I made my way around the collection of bolts holding the cover in place. When they were all out, the inner clockwork secrets were finally revealed.



The first thing out was the chain tensioner, with just two bolts holding it in place, it was an was target..I knew that the two timing dots on the gears had to be facing each other. So I rotated the engine to align them.




Using my trusty puller, I removed the larger timing gear, along with the chain..



Then the smaller gear. I had to use a steel plate here to cover the hole in the end of the shaft, otherwise the puller would have had nothing to pull against as the threaded part just vanished inside the hole.



And that is that really. Somehow it seemed much more exciting doing it than it reads. I guess that was because I hadn't a clue what to expect or how to go about doing it. Usually I have a read around the subject beforehand but this time I couldn't be bothered so I just dived straight in .Glad I did as it was immense fun.

All that was left to do was to bag up all the parts and label them so they can be stored away just in case I need them one day.



As this was a learning journey on a knackered engine, nothing actually got fixed or restored, but it was still very good experience for the future and it is one step closer to getting the whole engine stripped down.




<Next Post> - 'Spare Engine - Flywheel Fun!'
<This Post> - 'Spare Engine - Timing Gear Removed'
<Previous Post> - 'Spare Engine - Reassembling the Head'

For updates, stick a 'Like' on Wayne's Mini Progress facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment