Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Rear Subframe Strip Down - Part 2 - Wire Brush Time

I managed to get a few hours in the Man Cave tonight and was able to get on with the task of turning an oily, greasy, filthy subframe into a thing of beauty. Well that's the theory anyway.

I'm focusing on the drivers side at the moment. I have already removed the radius arm, trunnion and support pin. The only thing I removed from the subframe tonight was a brake hose as it was in the way of where I wanted to clean.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Rear Subframe Strip Down - Part 1

Now that the rear subframe is off the car and in my man cave, I can start to strip it down and assess what needs to be done to make it as good as new. I knew that it was mostly in good condition, but now it is off and I can see it up close, I can see that it is very good with only a little surface rust and no rot at all.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Rear Subframe Removal - Part 2

Managed to get a break in the weather and between the rain showers I was able to crack on with the rest of the work needed to get the rear subframe off.

Now with the exhaust off and 2 trolley jacks supporting the subframe, there are only a few more steps needed to get the job done:

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Off with the Exhaust.

As part of the rear subframe overhaul, I have decided to remove the exhaust as it will probably get in the way when the subframe is lowered, and possibly damaged.

This was a stinker of a job as I had not raised up the front of the car. As the rear of the car was on axle stands I was not able to jack the front up. Luckily the Mini is on quite soft gravel, so I was able to dig down a little to make enough space under the car to reach the lower bracket.

I had already removed rear brackets yesterday, so there were just 2 left to remove. Sounds pretty simple, but it wasn't due to the cramped working conditions.

Friday, October 25, 2013

Rear Subframe Removal - Part 1

Last week, when I sprayed protection on the underside of the car, it became obvious that the only parts that were receiving the protection were the bits I could see. For the best protection, I really need to get in all the nooks and crannies. The most effective way to achieve this is to remove the rear subframe.

First attempt at tidying up the underside

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Underseal the rear.

As winter is fast approaching, I thought the rear subframe area would benefit from a coat of this stuff . . .
This is the business!

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Rear Seatbelts Revisited

Last September I fitted rear seatbelts, but ever since fitting them, I have never really felt that the part connected to the side of the pocket was strong enough. So decided that the best way to anchor the seatbelt is to mount it above and below where the seat is welded to the pocket.

To do this, I needed to construct a bracket that could be mounted inside the pocket to transfer the load to a hole below the seat as well as above, hopefully giving maximum strength.

Yeah, picture's crap, I know!!